25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition of Peter Gabriel's smash So
Remastered 180-gram edition of So plus four CDs, two DVDs, two LPs and a 60-page book with rare photos and new liner notes
Peter Gabriel has earned a worldwide reputation for his innovative work as a songwriter, performer, video maker and world music evangelist. Two of Gabriel's biggest blockbusters ever grace his fifth studio album, So: The soul-pop raver "Sledgehammer," and the colorful dance number "Big Time." Then there's also his greatest love song "In Your Eyes," which achieved heroic status after being featured in Cameron Crowe's classic film "Say Anything."
All Music Guide says the hits illustrated the strengths of the album: Gabriel's increased melodicism and ability to blend African music, jangly pop and soul into his moody art rock. Now, Gabriel has remastered this 1986 album classic and added live footage and bonus tracks to create an eight-disc limited edition box set: Four CDs, two DVDs, and two LPs, featuring the remastered So on 180-gram vinyl — the 25th Anniversary Immersion Box.
Fans get the completely remastered album — featuring hits like "Sledgehammer" and "In Your Eyes" — as well as the two-CD ‘Live in Athens' album from 1987. There is also a So DNA CD, which provides insight into the creation of the project, from the birth of rhythms to song development and writing.
DVD performances of the 1987 Live in Athens set produced by acclaimed film director Martin Scorsese are also included. This is the first time the footage has ever been released, as it's been remixed and pieced together from more than 150 reels of negatives. Another DVD includes a documentary explaining the making of the album, featuring interviews with Gabriel as well as co-producer Daniel Lanois.
Box set bonuses include a vinyl 12-inch LP collectible with two previously unreleased tracks called "Courage" and "Sagrada" plus an alternate version of "Don't Give Up." There is also a 60-page book with new liner notes, and rare or never-before-seen photos.
• The limited edition deluxe box set comprises the re-mastered So album, the double CD Live in Athens 1987 album and So DNA CD which gives a unique insight into the writing and recording of So, experienced via a track-by-track evolutionary process leading you from the early moments when rhythms, melodies and lyrical ideas were discovered through the various stages of song development and recording.
• Two previously unreleased DVD's : Live in Athens 1987 , Directed by Michael Chapman, Executive Producer Martin Scorsese. This was the first filmed Peter Gabriel concert, now fully restored and pieced together from more than 150 reels of original 35mm negatives and remixed in 5.1, this concert is made available for the first time on DVD.
• So: Classic Album documentary. The latest addition to the acclaimed and award-winning classic album series tells the story behind the making of Peter Gabriel's 1986 album So and features contributions from many of those involved in the album and videos, with interviews with Peter Gabriel, co-producer Daniel Lanois and many more.
• A 180-gram So LP mastered at half speed to maximize the audio quality and the track listing.
• AA side 12-inch vinyl collectible containing two previously unreleased tracks "Courage" and "Sagrada" plus "Don't Give Up" (alternative version piano and bvox mix) and a 60-page casebound book including an introduction and So DNA summary by Peter Gabriel, new liner notes and an extensive collection of rare and never-before-seen photographs.
The Deluxe Box will also include a 24-bit download option for all of the audio.