The Series 300 tonearms broadens the application of SME technology. A unique one-piece magnesium tonearm is used for the Model 309. The detachable magnesium headshell has a new style coupling, providing the convenience of rapid cartridge interchange without loss of rigidity. The Model 309 offers a performance and manufacturing excellence unmatched by many more expensive models.
- Unique pressure die-cast magnesium shell detachable and interchangeable without disturbing cartridge or wiring.
· New design clamping arrangement ensures rigid junction with tone-arm.
· Internal constrained layer damps minute residual vibrations making tone-arm acoustically inert.
· Stainless steel cross shaft, ground and thread ground. Carried in massive yoke on 10mm precision ball races. Axis at record mean level to minimise warp-wow.
· Unique assembly gives high rigidity and allows bearings to be critically adjusted before tone-arm is fitted.
· Stainless steel vertical shaft, ground and thread ground, with integral 16mm diameter flange to couple shaft and yoke.
· 23mm diameter steel pillar, heat treated, ground and honed, carries two 17mm precision ball races, widely spaced to resist tilt.
· Anti-skate control operates through tension spring and filament. Dial corresponds with VTF and has positive OFF position.
· Lowering/raising control gives smooth positive action. Height of lift can be adjusted.
· Dual-lock base provides movement control with high rigidity.
· Tungsten-alloy balance weight carried on damped two-point suspension. Extra-low inertia design assists warp riding.
· Underslung weight housing corrects centre of gravity and provides non reflective tone-arm termination.
· Swivelling, damped output socket minimises vibration transmission in sub-chassis use.
· Reference lines on tone-arm facilitate VTA setting.
· Fine adjustment of horizontal tracking angle (HTA).
· New design alignment protractor sets HTA with great accuracy.
· Cartridge leads and internal wiring LCOFC litz.
· Balanced LCOFC audio lead with gold plated phono plugs.